List Entry Number: 1377862
Heritage Category: Listing
Location: BARN 30 YARDS TO REAR OF TEMPLE COURT, CLANDON PARK, West Clandon, Guildford, Surrey.
The Barn has been used as stables, livestock pens (usually pigs) and for our main agricultural storage area for several centuries. The barn lies in a private front yard and the main entrance is directly from a private drive and garden. Over the centuries the barn must have weathered many storms however the storms in the early 1920's, mid 1970's and 1987, when we lost so many trees, paid their toll on the barn too. The last storm, four years ago, dislodged some pegs in the roof. Our records show that the barn was restored in 1926, 1980, 1988 and 1994. General maintenance has taken place every year since then or whenever required.
We have considered several levels of restoration. Firstly we could simply make this agricultural building safe and fit for purpose. This would be inexpensive and work could be undertaken using our own labour and an excellent local builder. The second option would be to make the building safe and fit for purpose, but also we could strip the roof, replace two supporting timbers and replace the roof using the original tiles. This latter work would take a little more time but would reduce the level of annual maintenance required over the next 30 years. Finally, we have considered the possibility of fully restoring the barn.
All these options are still being discussed with a number of our specialists, however, basic maintenance work is planned to start imminently.