Historic England Listing:
List Entry Number: 1001171
Heritage Category: Parkland
Clandon Park Estate, West Clandon, Guildford, Surrey
Clandon Fishing Lakes and Conservation plan includes three bodies of water.
This Lake (described variously as Upper Lake, Top Lake or the Canal) was originally a spring fed pond believed to have been created into a canal by a local canal works pioneer. It has been suggested that its early culverts appear very similar to his designs. Some believe that the canal edges were then softened in the C18 following a design by Capability Brown, however there appears to be only hearsay of his actual involvement. Nonetheless the Lake must have been created in the style of the time, which was undoubtedly of Capability Brown style and the works were undertaken by staff on the Clandon Park Estate circa 1776-1820 by the many Estate staff that were employed on Clandon Park or in the Clandon House labour intensive formal gardens. Further plantings were added between then and now. Here you can see the Lake in a photograph taken in 1905 with the original Boathouse which Lord Onslow is currently considering reinstating. The Lake has always been used for fishing. This lake is included in the Clandon lakes and conservation programme.